A sales team is a group of people with skills to advise and guide a customer's purchasing process, which tries to influence their consumer decision.
His name says so; "Sales team", a team that sells. But what is selling? And what characteristics should a team have that has responsibility for sales in a company, company, branch or business?
What is selling?
Well, selling is a process and a sales team must know it, understand it and apply it, considering that each client is different and that they must adjust the process to the attitude they have, their interests and their willingness to pay. Selling uses negotiation techniques, which improve as sellers gain experience.
It is important to understand that the sale is not a transactional exchange action; selling has multiple ways of being and a model that explains it very well is the AIDA.
ATTENTION - INTEREST - DESIRE - ACTION
- This model suggests that the sales process begins by capturing the customer's attention, making them pause for a moment to observe the opportunity they have in front of them.
- Then take an action to generate interest in it, so ask and inquire more about the product.
- Then deliver additional product attributes that make the customer want it; for example, that the product is the new version, that very few people have it, a special discount, flexible payment methods, etc. Make it impossible not to buy it.
- And finally, the sum of the previous actions triggers the purchase action.
As you can see, it is a process that can be applied to all types of sales, from physical store products to stock brokerage services.
Form a sales team
Getting a sales team that meets these characteristics is hard work. For this reason, it is important to provide prior and constant training to the people who work in sales. This will allow them to better face the challenges of working with clients, who are actually people; who have problems, who had a bad day, or who are extremely demanding when buying. All this means mental and physical exhaustion for salespeople who, without training, could end up with a high turnover rate of in a company.
To form a sales team it is essential that they know this process and that they specialize or study the product / s they are selling very well. A customer can get frustrated if he meets a seller who does not have full knowledge of what he is looking for, and finally ends up buying it in another business of the competition.
Sales teams have a great responsibility to meet the goals that the business establishes and for this they must unite and work towards this purpose, looking for strategies to make it possible and even exceed them.
For this, they can propose to aim to sell the highest priced products, promote impulse purchases, since they work very well when a customer has made the decision to purchase a product.
It also works to advise the client with inbound marketing strategies. That is, products that complement your purchase. For example, if a customer buys a camera, a seller may suggest that for that camera it is necessary to have a safe bag to transport it, and that also, if you want to capture photos from a greater distance, there is a lens that is on promotion if it is leading him to the camera. If you sell these two suggestions, you will have sold three products; the camera, the bag and the lens.
These are strategies that the team must define and modify as the days go by and they observe the behavior of the clients.
Incentives to the sales team
Most sales teams are paid from a base salary plus sales commissions. This is the first and great incentive, which is to reach the end of the month with a high percentage of commissions, which will increase your remuneration.
But they are not the only incentive that can be given to a team. Here I show you some incentives for different scenarios.
- Incentives to maintain a good sales team: Maintain the work environment, provide flexible hours and prizes for days off for having exceeded the goals. Deliver a group coexistence a month, after hours, where the team strengthens and has a good time.
- Non-monetary incentives: The company can establish agreements with other service companies and deliver to its vendors; movie tickets, discounts or passes to the gym, discounts to study at university or improve.
In short, a sales team is the nucleus of any commercial company, as it is the key part of the link in the value chain, responsible for preserving the company's brand image, its products and delivering an excellent service that allows the long-term loyalty and the conservation and expansion of the client portfolio.