ISO 26000 is an International Standard that sets the regulations, standards and / or policies of social responsibility in organizations.
That is, it sets the tone on how to integrate and involve stakeholders in socially responsible behavior issues and in improving results in this area.
The objective of ISO 26000 is to guide organizations in matters of social responsibility.
Characteristics of ISO 26000
ISO 26000 shows the principles and practices, as well as the integration and implementation of a socially responsible behavior within an organization. Such as:
- Improve accountability and transparency.
- Maintain ethical behavior.
- Follow principles of legality.
- Respect human rights.
This implies the need to identify the stakeholders and involve them. For example, to civil society and government institutions on a voluntary basis. Although this does not mean that the organizations relieve the State in its obligations, in terms of social responsibility.
Another fundamental element of ISO 26000 is communicating commitments and improving their performance.
Importance of ISO 26000
Given the growth of international concern about the effects of human activities on the environment and the community, the need to conserve ecosystems and seek social equity becomes clear. That is why ISO 2600 was created to guide actions in this regard.
Benefits of applying ISO 26000
Among the main benefits of applying ISO 26000 are:
- Greater competitiveness of companies that are socially responsible.
- Better corporate image through its reputation and prestige for being socially responsible.
- Greater number of customers and brand loyalty.
- Improve the relationship between collaborators of the organization.
- Attraction of talent to the organization through a sense of belonging.
- Greater motivation, productivity and commitment of employees.
Field of application of ISO 26000
It applies to all types of organizations, whether in the public or private sector, non-profit associations, large, medium or small companies, within developed or developing countries.
Although there are no limitations in this regard, it is necessary to bear in mind that the conditions of the organization's environment and its intrinsic characteristics such as social diversity, the environment where it is located, legal, cultural, and political aspects must be taken into account. and economic in the country where the organization in question is located.
The application of ISO 26000 is not only for new organizations, but also for more experienced ones who want to improve existing practices, for ethical behavior and for the benefits of being socially responsible.
Within organizations, the application of ISO 26000 is observed in:
- Corporate governance.
- Best work practices.
- Active and proactive internal participation.
- Fair trade practices.
- The respect to the environment.