Leadership is the action of influencing a group of people with the objective of working as a team and around a purpose.
Leadership has become vitally important today due to the shortage of people with the skills to lead teams and achieve above-average goals.
Origin of leadership
The appearance of the first leaders dates back to before Christ. Plato already raised in his work what are the qualities of a leader. In this way, there have been many authors since the beginning of time who have used the concept of leadership in their teachings.
The great governors of history have been backed by good leadership skills. In the case of Hitler, he managed to come to power because of the large number of citizens he had managed to dupe and convince of his approaches.
Importance of leadership
In this sense, the importance of leadership lies in the fact that companies not only create industrial products through mechanized processes. In addition, they must study the psychographic profiles of the people and reach agreements in the commercial teams, between functional areas of the organization; operations, finance, human resources, communications, etc.
Considering that people with different personal and professional profiles work in all areas, it is difficult for everyone to go in the same direction due to intrinsic motivation.
For example, for a professional in the finance area, an accountant by profession. He has extensive experience in auditing, it may be difficult for him to relate to a professional from the commercial area and marketing section, Publicist by profession and with a more creative and innovative vision of the business.
The first may tend to ensure the correct use of the company's resources. The second, to achieve results that position the brand in the mind of the consumer. They both have one ultimate goal in common; position the company and make it more competitive, but from very different perspectives.
In this process it is essential that people with leadership skills participate. They must be able to establish a common, clear, shared and challenging purpose, capable of mobilizing all areas of the company.
A good leader must possess the following characteristics and skills to gain the support of the people:
- Communication: Correct communication is essential to transmit the ideas of a leader. Communicating clearly, directly and concisely will allow you to reach a greater number of people.
- Set an example: For a leader to be followed, he must first commit to the cause and contribute as if it were any other person.
- Empathy: Knowing and understanding the situation of other people is very important when influencing a group of people. This characteristic makes the leader close.
- Trust: Any type of relationship is based on trust. If there is no trust with the leader, that leadership will dissolve over time.
- Security: Security and certainty in decision-making is something highly perceived by society. The higher the degree of security shown, the greater reach the leader will have.
- Motivation: When we hear motivating and optimistic words that allow us to face life from another point of view, the impact and influence of the leader on people increases.
- Responsibility: A person who is not considered responsible will hardly be conceived as a leader.
The three fundamental pillars of leadership
Among the pillars on which leadership is sustained, regardless of the type we analyze, are the following:
- Personal skills: Those that control people's emotions and balance in demanding moments.
- Technical capabilities: Knowledge related to the company's performance area; for example, accounting, finance, marketing, engineering, etc. Essential aspects to lead business processes.
- Social skills: They are those that facilitate the relationship with other people and among those who stand out; empathy, trust and sense of responsibility.
Types of leadership
Below we list the different types of leadership and the link to its definition article:
Within the society in which we live we can find a multitude of leaders. In the case of athletes, we highlight Cristiano Ronaldo or LeBron James. As for rulers or kings, the Queen of England is also recognized as a great leader.
On the other hand, in the business world we can find such renowned leaders as Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet or the late Steve Jobs.
In short, leadership is an action that needs a context, a purpose, a team of people. Consequently, it also requires a leader with skills to mobilize and achieve the proposed objectives.
Leadership is also a skill that, although it may be innate, due to inherited personality traits, or parenting contexts, it can also be acquired through self-discipline that promotes submitting to leadership actions. For example, work shyness with a specialist, participate in volunteer initiatives, lead volunteer initiatives, study on a complex technical topic and simplify it for co-workers, create protocols that improve the work environment, and in general, innovate in initiatives that no one has done before.