The concept of mentor refers to a counselor or guide who, through experience and knowledge, helps another person to carry out their objectives.
The mentor is someone experienced who offers the possibility of helping someone through those experiences that he has accumulated throughout his life.
It is a practice that has been carried out for thousands of years. Formerly there was the image of an old man, wise, characterized with beards and tunic exposing his knowledge to the youngest of a tribe or society.
What does a mentor do and how does it help?
It is a job that, since the beginning of the 21st century, has become very important when guiding entrepreneurs to start their projects, for example.
In this case, a mentor is usually someone specialized in a certain area in which they accumulate great experience. This experience serves to be the perfect guide for entrepreneurs who need an action plan and a strategy to develop their ideas. The experience serves as the basis to be able to help in this type of specific cases.
Mentoring, which is the term that coined the implementation of these practices, has become a highly demanded profession.
Here are some areas in which a mentor can help:
- Serve as a guide to start an entrepreneurial project.
- Analyze and implement specific strategies.
- Help form teams with a common objective: to develop a work in harmony and with shared objectives.
- When it comes to practicing a sport. He goes beyond a coach, he is the image, the talent and the guide to succeed.
Here are some examples of the help a mentor can offer. However, it is also necessary to choose a good mentor who has a series of characteristics that inspire confidence and commitment.
Characteristics of a good mentor
Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Experience is essential: Living situations and circumstances that have served to be an experienced reference in a certain sector.
- Emotional knowledge: More emotional knowledge such as emotional intelligence and empathy will serve to transmit them to the student and also instill them as something very beneficial for him.
- Foster challenges with the student: This will help them to grow and motivate themselves through challenges so that they can get the best of themselves through the teachings received.
- Solve your doubts: In order for you to continue learning, it is necessary that any doubt or problem that arises can be solved in order to move forward.
- Professionalism above all: Being and educating a good professional is essential. Conveying positive and consistent values will be of great help during this relationship between student and mentor.