The digital native concept refers to all those people who were born in the digital age after the explosion of new technologies.
Digital technologies emerged strongly from 1978, so digital natives are considered to be all those who were born after that date and who have grown familiar with computers, mobiles, digital platforms and in direct contact with all of this in their lives. daily and in the training they have been receiving.
History of the term digital native
The author of this term is Marc Prensky, an American writer and lecturer, who used this concept together with the digital immigrant in 2001 in his article Nativos Digitales.
In Prensky's words "educators, digital immigrants, have to specialize in guiding young people, digital natives, in the use of technology for effective learning, motivating them to learn through their own passion."
Differences between digital native and digital immigrant
Marc Prensky establishes a series of differences between the two concepts that he himself originated:
- Digital native: Those who were born in the boom of new technologies, and have been educated since their origin.
- Digital immigrant: These are people who have been born previously and have had to adapt to the introduction of new technologies and train to learn about their operation, uses, and other digital aspects.
Characteristics of digital natives
The following stand out:
- Birth after the technological boom: All those who were born after the awakening of the digital sector are included.
- Early accessibility: From an early age they have had use and grown up with digital tools so they have become familiar with them at all times.
- Digital education: At school they have received education on new technologies, and have used digital tools to carry out their projects, improve their learning and be in contact with this form of online education. Many courses are even carried out thanks to digital development that has made it possible to carry out training programs from anywhere in the world without having to travel.
- Improvement of technological skills: After having grown in contact with technologies, this has allowed them to have an earlier ability to use them, unlike those who have had to learn in their adult life after the introduction of these digital tools.
Tags: opinion comparisons banking