Sports sponsorship is a marketing strategy based on advertising or patronage of clubs, people or sporting events that, due to the impact they reach, the product or service being sold reaches a very wide and heterogeneous audience.
Companies and brands are betting on the world of sports to make themselves known. It is a very successful market that moves a lot of money.
Sports competitions such as the Olympic Games, the NFL final or football teams displaying advertising on their jerseys become optimal channels for disseminating this entertainment industry. Sports sponsorship is also an ideal communication tool for brands that seek to link their image to the values that define sport.
How does a sports sponsorship work?
Under this marketing action, the athlete or club receives a financial endowment, personalized services or professional advice. In return, the sponsor (the company or brand) gains the promotional rights to carry out marketing strategies associated with the image of the protagonist (club, athlete or event).
Sports sponsorship itself is not a marketing channel, but a communication platform for a brand with multiple points of contact with the consumer. Hence, well-invested advertising achieves higher returns on investment, as well as a better alignment with the sponsoring brand and a greater commitment to the target audience.
What goals does the sports sponsor set for himself?
There are several objectives of the sports sponsor:
- Promote the image of the company so that it is perceived positively and progressively by the public.
- Increase brand exposure on various types of channels and increase public relations. More visibility in general for the company.
- Generate brand value for the company. Something essential for it to become a safe market value for users.
- Achieve a favorite perception of the potential audience through social sponsorship. Position yourself as the favorite brand for consumers.
- Increase sales of a product or service. An event always has a goal. Selling products or services are irrefutable missions to be achieved by any company.
- Get an image transfer whereby the values of sport are associated with the sponsored brand. Provide a positive relationship that adds value to the brand thanks to something that tends to have a great impact on society, such as the sporty aspect.
How to use sports patronage effectively
Here are some ways to do it:
- Increasing exposure and awareness through high profile media rights to demonstrate a positive role in society by creating community programs that can engage audiences that are difficult to reach by other means.
- Access to sports talent can be used to create advertising material and content that can be distributed across multiple channels.
- The right to use brands and logos on products and promotions can be a key differentiator.
Building a solid and effective sports sponsorship strategy becomes a complex process that requires a complete analysis and investigation of key aspects reflected in an adequate proposal.
The common values between patron and club or athlete should be studied so that both can take advantage of the shared brand positioning. In this way they will obtain a joint benefit.