Subversion is an act by which it is intended to completely change the established order in any area. Be it artistic, moral, social, but especially in the political sphere.
Subversion is a radical change from the grassroots. That is, it seeks to completely change the elements that define and structure society. It is not enough to change an element or factor, but it must be given completely, in as many elements as possible.
Etymologically, the term comes from the Latin subversion, whose literal meaning is that of "turning around."
The foregoing refers to political subversion in its broadest conception. One can also speak of subversive acts referring to local or minor acts that seek the changes described. It can also be applied to other disciplines such as art, being able to look for these changes in painting, music or sculpture.
The subversive act is one that challenges authority, rebels and pretends not to abide by the legality or orders that have been issued. For example, if a village refuses to pay tribute, it is carrying out a subversive act against the authority in the economic sphere. Therefore, it is worth highlighting the distinction between subversion and subversive act, the first refers to its broader conception, defined in the first paragraph. The second can be done by a group or person in a single area. It can also be the set of acts on a smaller scale that characterizes the set of subversion.
Characteristics of subversion
From the previous definition we can highlight, of subversion, the following characteristics:
- Look for the radical change of the system.
- Try to change all areas: social, economic, artistic and political.
- They are carried out en masse, the subversions are carried out by a relatively organized group of people.
- The established system tries to respond to the aspirations of the subversives.
- It can be done in a violent way, especially in the political sphere, or peacefully, as in art.
Types of subversion
On the political level, depending on who carries it out, we will talk about national, regional or local subversions:
- Local subversion: It is carried out by a reduced group of people, we speak of a village, town or city. The probability of repressing it is quite high.
- Regional subversion: The number of people that compose it is large, depending on the size and number of regions will be its strength. The higher it is, the more difficult it will be to contain.
- National subversion: It refers to subversive acts scattered throughout the territory, carried out by a large part of the population. These cases can lead to civil war.
Depending on the area in which it works, it can be:
- Total: These subversions are characteristic of revolutions, since a change is sought in the entire state structure, such as the ruling classes, power structures, religion, ownership of the means of production, etc.
- Politics: We speak of political subversion if it only seeks change at the level of political power. In this sense, changes such as rulers, institutions, forms of representation, etc.
- Economic: That which is limited to what has to do with the economy. Such as taxation, taxes, means of production or income distribution.
- Artistic: This one is peaceful since it only changes the parameters on which the art is made. Like the techniques or materials used.
Tags: Business accounting history