Target in marketing
The marketing target represents the potential customers or the public that companies have as their objective when it comes to delivering their products or services to them.
It is a concept that is very important in the area of marketing and communication. It is taken into account within the most diverse procedures. For example, when the implementation of a project is carried out, the target to which it is directed, its services or products is defined, as well as when a market study, a marketing plan or a business plan is carried out.
The target represents that profile desired by the company to inform them and show them the existence of essential products for them.
Launching a product without knowing the target can be totally counterproductive and cost the company a huge expense. It is something that has to be done, mandatory for any company that wants to put its products on the market.
How is the target defined?
These are the most important guidelines to define a target correctly. It is important to carry out a series of questions and previous research to be able to define it to the fullest.
- Know what type of sex a company's product is aimed at. You have to define and segment, a product does not work for everyone. It would be impossible to satisfy the whole of humanity.
- Define a specific age range. You can create groups by age, and within this option choose the most appropriate according to the needs of the product and its use.
- Know the culture of the country to which the brand is directed. It is not the same to sell products to Russia that will have a series of characteristics, culture, than to do it in Spain or Japan. It is important to know these details in order to perfectly define the target.
- The profession of the people to whom the product is directed.
- Know their hobbies, and what they do in their spare time.
These types of questions will help enormously to configure the target, and will save future time and money, since the specific profile to which the products or services of a company are directed will be defined.
A gym wants to launch Pilates classes for pregnant women. It is aimed at pregnant women with an age range that can be between 25 and 45 years old, for example. Sports women, concerned about their health and that of the future baby. That is your target.
These are some of the options that will be investigated and answered to achieve the configuration of that identity so sought after and desired by companies to get the most out of their products and increase their sales.
Alternatively, the concept of target, which in English translates as objective, could be associated with the achievement of certain business objectives not necessarily related to marketing.