Selling in bulk is a form of marketing that consists of selling a product without packaging or packaging. In this way, the customer selects the quantity he wishes to purchase.
That is, selling in bulk means offering a loose merchandise. This can happen for different types of vegetables, fruits, grains or others.
This type of commercialization can also be found in different types of establishments such as markets, supermarkets or wineries.
Advantages and disadvantages of selling in bulk
Among the advantages of selling in bulk are:
- By dispensing with the container, we seek to avoid the use of single-use plastics. The buyer has the opportunity to have their own packaging (or they can take the product loose). Thus, a positive impact on the environment is achieved.
- The buyer has the opportunity to choose the exact quantity he wants to buy. In this way, you acquire exactly the volume you want to consume and a surplus will not be generated that ends up being discarded.
- The consumer will choose the units of the product that he wishes to purchase. That way, you will avoid selecting those that may be faulty.
- The products can be considered healthier because they do not contain preservatives or additives that are usually incorporated in packaged foods.
- The producer will save the time of packaging the product.
However, there are also some downsides to selling in bulk:
- Special care must be taken in logistics management because, in the case of perishable products, they can go bad in a short time. For example, fruits could ripen very quickly if they are exposed to high temperatures, so they would have to be discarded.
- Related to the above, as it does not contain preservatives, the useful life of the merchandise cannot be extended. This requires more logistical work to offer the exact stock according to demand and avoid surpluses that end up being wasted.
Other meanings of sale in bulk
Selling in bulk can also mean that the product is sold in large quantities. In the same way, we may be referring not only to a commodity, but to an action.
For example, you can say → The teacher gave instructions in bulk about the task that the students had to do, so they asked him to send everything in writing to avoid misunderstandings.